Wednesday 5 February 2014

Chicken Paprika Stew

Chicken Stew was first on our list of 'Norfolk Veg Box' dishes. 

The beauty of stew is that you can add as much veg as you like - making an ultra healthy meal and a brilliant winter warmer!

Before now I haven't ever made a Chicken Stew, it has almost always been a beef stews. 
I did a little research, well Googerling (I wonder if Googerling will be added to the English dictionary soon) and then I created my own.



Our Inspiration


Our Chicken and Paprika Stew Recipe



Chicken Breast – 500g
olive oil – 2tbsp
Onion – 1 (Massive one)
Garlic – 2 cloves
Carrots – 4
Brussel sprouts – (6ish just for me and +Giz King)
Parsnips - 2
Paprika – 2 tbsp
Salt and Pepper (to taste)

Please notes some of the amounts are guesses, not exact. 

1. Add the Olive oil, chopped onion and garlic (cut finely) into a frying pan. (Ideally one with a lid to add later) Cook for 5 – 10 minutes until soft.
2. Dice your chicken and add - fry until about half cooked and completely white on the outside.
3. Drain any remaining oil or fat from the chicken
3. Add Chicken stock and prepped veg - Carrots, Brussel Sprouts, Parsnip.
4. Add the paprika (I used smoked for the added smoky flavour)
5. Bring to the boil whilst stirring, add a pinch of salt and a few twist of ground black pepper.
5.  Leave to simmer  


At this point I had a panic - the stew still had a lot of liquid and my initial plan was to add a few gravy granules to thicken it up. But, after tasting there was no way I wanted to spoil the flavour with granules! 
I was home alone with the guys and definitely did not fancy a shopping trip so I let the stew simmer on a low heat for about 2 hours and hey presto - it reduced down beautifully! (This recipe would be perfect for a slow cooker) 


The sauce was beautiful, the chicken tender and juicy and the vegetables were divine! In fact the vegetables were the best bit - they absorbed alot of the flavours from the chicken, stock and paprika and it made them extra tasty -  so tasty that all my guys ate the Parsnips without moaning once - That in itself is a massive win!

Don't forget to comment and let us know your stew secrets!



2 comments:

  1. OMG! I love your blog because it has food. My most favorite thing in the world.Its like when I indulge in great food. I don't eat with my eyes. I eat food that I know is healthy and that's what you are showing here. Loved the recipe. Awesome post and blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Sierra! Great to hear that you enjoyed our blog.
    Will keep you posted with future posts and feel free to share with friends :)

    ReplyDelete